Zero-proof cocktails, a buzz-free alternative to masterful mixed drinks that offer just as much flavour and complexity as their full-proof counterparts. This National Cocktail Day we bring you the perfect zero-proof spring drink to tantalize those taste buds, keep on track with your health goals, and get your mind dreaming of those warmer days ahead. Who said cocktails couldn’t be part of your wellness routine, eh? Read on to find out more!
Gone are the days when the Shirley Temple was the only option for anyone taking time off from drinking alcohol. Our talented mixologists, under the supervision of Sam Clark, Regional Manager of Mixology and Bars, have rolled up their sleeves and put their creative minds to the test to create a menu of alcohol-free cocktails rivaling your go-to favourites. Many zero-proof cocktails rely on ingredients you can find or make at home, and our shrub recipe is no exception.
A shrub, also known as a drinking vinegar, is a healthier option to soda and even most juice. Shrubs consist of three ingredients: fruit, sugar, and raw apple cider vinegar. The combination of the three ingredients creates a fruity tangy simple syrup containing natural probiotics and a multitude of health benefits.
So go on, try this one at home, you’ll be surprised at how tasty it is. Connect with your inner mixologist and experiment with flavors to create your own personal twist. Don’t forget to share them with us on social!
Recipe – Smoked Peach Highball
- 6 cups peaches, pitted and chopped
- 3 cups organic granulated sugar
- 3 cups raw apple cider vinegar
- 1½ oz Lyres Highland Malt 0%
- ¾ oz Smoked Peach Shrub
- Top with Soda
- grilled peach slice and mint to garnish
Smoked Peach Shrub
- Add chopped peaches and sugar to a glass jar
- Smash peaches with a muddler to release the juices. Mix peaches and sugar together and store in the refrigerator for 2 days; swirling the jar to keep mixing the peach juice with the sugar.
- Once the sugar has fully dissolved, add the apple cider to taste – it should be the perfect balance of sweet peach with a bright acidic backbone. Mix well and return to refrigerator for an additional 5 days.
- Swirl the jar daily, mixing the sweet juice and raw apple cider vinegar together.
- Strain out the fruit using a fine mesh sieve.
- Store the liquid in a clean jar, as this is now your shrub.
- Using a smoking gun and applewood chips, smoke the peach shrub in a jar fill jar and leave until the smoke has dissolved into the liquid.
- Measure all ingredients into your favorite highball glass.
- Fill with ice and stir stir briefly.
- Top with soda
- Garnish with a slice of grilled peach or some fresh mint. Enjoy.
Sam’s Tip: The peach shrub drinking vinegar will last months in the refrigerator when kept in a clean glass jar. Dilute the shrub with water or add to sparkling water or club soda for a refreshing everyday drink.